15 April, 2012

North Trip Day 2: Derry

Day 2 was a lot like Day 1 weather-wise -- it couldn't quite decide when it wanted to be nice and when it was going to pour rain on us...

Sunshine on a road still wet from rain...

Our guest house!

Katie^2 outside of the guest house

I noticed a lot in the North that there's way more Gaelic without English subtitles -- very cool. The sign for our guest house :)

A really cool picture Calla took that, while completely out of focus, is super interesting... :D
On our way from Donegal to Derry, we detoured at the most intact ring fort in Ireland. We've seen some ruins of ring forts before, but nothing like this!!

Very cool old structure

The stairs were really questionable, but if you watched your feet you were generally fine

View from the top!

The rest of the gang exploring

What I get when I yell 'SMILE!' :)

We could see the rain coming at us, though :(

Courtesy of Calla -- Amber, Colleen, Kyle, and Ryan!
Getting into Derry itself -- the peace bridge!

We took a really cool bus/walking tour of the city, especially the Bogside where a lot of the Troubles took place. Now, there are tons of amazing murals on the sides of buildings. I took lots of pictures, but I think this is my favorite.

The iconic wall from the movie "Bloody Sunday" that we watched just before coming here.

The full group!
Our tour guide, Martin, has given tours to the mighty likes of Will Ferrel and other celebs interested in learning about the Troubles, and also typically takes a lot of groups like ours.

A monument for those killed on Bloody Sunday. If you look closely, there are ages included with names. A very sobering memorial.

An old prison where Wolff Tone was at one point imprisoned. It was closed, though, because it apparently became easier to get out of than it was to get into.

One of the gates into the Walled City!

Where the term 'catwalk' originated -- the widest section of the walls.

Very very very very old and pretty church

This was about where it started pouring / hailing on us :P

We hung out in the Foyleside Mall for some downtime and lunch -- a really cool mural of the legend of the Children of Lir (wicked stepmom turns kids into swans)

Best. Store. Name. Ever. I think they sold clothes. I didn't really care.

Beaner in front of the peace bridge

Beaner and Brittnie experimenting with the revolving door in our hotel

My single room at the hotel -- both beds for me!!!

Another great store -- I haven't seen one of these ever before...

It's strange how well the Walled City blends into the rest of Derry...

Very cool war memorial in the center of the Diamond in the Walled City -- apparently it was too violent-looking for the Brits, so they gave it to the Irish ;)
More of Derry tomorrow!

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment